Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-leveling compounds over painted concrete?

Posted by motoq2000 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 1:15

We are cleaning up a 100 year old basement, by painting the granite walls and possibly painting the floor with floor paint.

The floor is fairly pitted/unlevel in many places. Someday (who knows), we might want to finish the basement and install tile or hardwood floors. In that case, we'd definitely need to level the floor.

Can anyone tell me if painting the floor today would screw up the application of a floor leveling compound tomorrow? I am thinking it probably will, but would be interested to hear if other's know and/or have successfully leveled a painted concrete basement floor before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-leveling compounds over painted concrete?

Look up the manufacturer websites of floor leveling compound and see what the instructions have to say about painted concrete? My guess is that paint would inhibit bonding but someone may make a specialty product.

It might make sense to level the floor now and then paint over that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here