Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Draft or fire blocking on a floating basement wall

Posted by alya2014 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 0:37

We are finishing a bedroom and bathroom in the basement.

Here in the front range of Colorado we are required to have floating walls in the basement because the soils tend to heave.

I see that fire or draft blocking is now required. I understand the concept and how to do the top part of the wall and even the vertical blocks. I have just finished putting up the vertical blocks with a combination of 2x4s and 3/4 OSB.

However, how does one take care of the big 2.5" gap at the bottom plate which cannot be anchored to anything. It really seems to defeat the purpose of trying to block the draft when it can just go down the concrete wall, sneak thru the gap at the bottom plate and back up on the other side of the vertical block. Am I over thinking this? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Draft or fire blocking on a floating basement wall

I'd drop it just below the top of the bottom plate but not attaching it. That covers the gap.

Source: City of Aurora, Colorado

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 11:48

o
RE: Draft or fire blocking on a floating basement wall

Thanks worthy.
The county gave me something similar and now that I read it closer, I see it says to stuff fiberglass in the void space gap at the bottom plate. They should show that in the illustration for us "visual" learners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here