Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvenhots

french or baseboard?

elvenhots
17 years ago

I would love to hear from anyone with either the french drain, or baseboard system. I'm really trying to make my decision, but I run across conflicting stories. I have also been reading about this stuff called RadonSeal, it sounds to easy of a fix. Anyone heard or used it? I can't imagine it could work as good as the website says.

Any info would be great!! Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• elvenhots
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really need to make my decision on the french drain or baseboard system.... can anyone help??

• ron6519
    17 years ago

I'm aware of many people who have french drains. Properly installed work well. It does require an open trench around the perimeter of the entire basement. I don't know if this would be compatible with an area that has radon emmissions.
    I've seen advertisements for the tile system. I don't know how the water gets drained to an area it can be removed. Seems it would sit in the hollow area as the floor would not be sloped when poured and floated.
    Ron

• usgirl
    17 years ago

By a baseboard system do you mean that a trench is dug on the interior of the wall? If so, that is the system we had installed by Mid Atlantic and it did the trick for us although it is a messy process.I can give more details if this is what you were asking about.

• knightster
    17 years ago

We had a french drain system put in our basement and we are very happy with the results. The company we used trenched the perimeter of our concrete basement floor and installed a sump pump with a back-up system. We've had no problems and would do it all over again.

• lulundave
    15 years ago

Ah Ha, finally what I am looking for. I was calling this process interior weeping tile installation. I am having a French Drain put in at the end of Aug. Right now we are emptying the entire contents of the basement.

What I want to know is - How messy is this?
    What can I do to keep the concrete dust from trashing the upstairs?
    Is it safe to at least leave the washer and dryer downstairs covered with plastic?

We have addressed the downspouts, have all the exterior graded properly. Our problem is that with the record rainfall in June in Ontario our city sewer system could not keep up. We had our downspouts previously connected to them and when the system couldn't keep up our foundation took all the water. We are left with water in our cinderblocks.

Any suggestions on how much mess and how to live with the mess would be GREATLY appreciated.

• donaldosix
    13 years ago

french drain is alraight what do you wanna do in the basement anyway that you think so muscjh? clean the mess this shoul be the best weeping tile installation is good tried it once or many times E. B. Dan : ÃÂ. ÃÂ. Ã"ÃÂ - Her Gold Hair Video
    gloom of the jealous
    qtimex aw treex We are running to the southward, before
    the North East Monsoon, between the mainland and the reef that for
    hundreds of miles fringes this perilous coast. The night is quiet, so
    quiet that a whisper can be heard fore and aft the dhow; so quiet that a
    faint booming sound rolls across the water to us from the distant land.

The Arab at the tiller holds up his hand, and says one word:--"_Simba_
    (lion)!"

We all sit up and listen. Then it comes again, a slow, majestic sound,
    that thrills us to the marrow.

"To-morrow by ten o'clock," I say, "we ought, if the Captain is not out
    in his reckoning, which I think very probable, to make this mysterious corrected Leo, taking his pipe from his mouth, and laughing a little.

"Nonsense!" I answered. "You were airing your Arabic with that man at E. B. Dan : ÃÂ. ÃÂ. Ã"ÃÂ - Her Gold Hair Video
    gloom of the jealous
    qtimex aw treex

the tiller this afternoon. What did he tell you? He has been trading
    rock with a man's head, and begin our shooting."

• uniflow
    13 years ago

We got released from a purchase agreement for a nice home because the basement waterproofing released unacceptable radon into the area and mitigating it would have cost a small fortune. Test your house for radon and consult with a radon mitigation contractor on the impact of the proposed waterproffing scheme.