Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hehateme_gw

Water Powered or Battery Backup Sump Pump

hehateme
13 years ago

I live in a 4 year old house. I have never had any water issues in my basement. My sump pump does run frequently in spring, summer and fall. I do live in a city with high water table.

I have drain tile, sump pump and proper drainage. My builder is reputable and the city inspectors do inspect the drain tile for all the new homes as they are being built.

I am finishing my basement and want to add backup sump pump. I have been looking at options and found that there are 2 options:

1. Battery powered sump pump

2. Water powered sump pump

Both of them are allowed in my city. We rarely have powered outage but I don't want to take any chance.

I called a basement water proofing guy today and he told me that last year was very wet and if I did not have any water issues I will be fine. I asked him about backup pumps and he told me that water backup pumps are wasteful and they should be outlawed. He also said that they can only pump around 750 gallons of water. He also made a comment that water powered pumps are expensive to install.

He said that he only sells battery backup sump pumps. These pumps can pump up to 2400 gallons of water and that is much closer to my current sump pump. He gave me a quote of $1500 for his backup sump pump.

If price was not an issue would you choose water or battery backup sump pump.

Thanks

Comment (1)