Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have a trough on inside perimeter -how to finish

Posted by brender (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 22:16

We have a basement with a water trough around the inside perimeter and it does have water in it.. Can anyone tell me how to finish this basement with insulation and drywall, we don't know if we go in front of it, does this cause moisture problems. Any ideas... thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have a trough on inside perimeter -how to finish

that is called a interior french drain. locating the walls a few inches from the edge will work fine. there is a bit of controversey about vapor barriers. ours is stapled to the studs over the insulation. works fine. hopefully others will post links etc to various websites that discuss this. you can also google the topic too.

o
RE: have a trough on inside perimeter -how to finish

Consider using steel studs fastened to the walls, but stopping about 7" or 8" above the trough. Use studs deep enough to space the new wall surface out past the trough. Then cover the studs, leaving the space at the bottom open. Use a removable baseboard to provide access to the trough when-and-as needed. I have never seen nor done this- just something to stimulate your thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here