Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pulakeview

Rod pops in the basement?

pulakeview
17 years ago

Hi All,

In the search of a new house, I encounter a term "rod pops was taken care of before basement was finished" on the disclosure. The agent said this is not a big problem in Michigan because of the harsh winter and the response of foundation to it.

Is this "rod pops" really a non-issue? Or actually it is something related to foundation and I should try to avoid this house? All the other aspects of this house look great, just like one setence on disclosure concerns me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• bungeeii
    16 years ago

As a fellow Michigander, I can tell you that I've never heard of that. I'm just a home-owner that has researched and GC'd his own home, so don't take me as an expert in the area.

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

Our realtor, when we were buying in Sterling Heights/Troy last year, would point out the rod pops. She said they were a natural result of a poured basement and that sometimes they leak and need repair. It costs something like $75 each to fix them, so having them fixed already is good.

But this is just my memory, I hope someone pops up soon to tell you the real skinny...

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

Here, I finally found something.

Here is a link that might be useful: tie rod pops

• jdew1920
    16 years ago

I think they are referring to holes that are left in the foundation walls after they are poured and forms removed. The rod holes are left over where there were rods that held the forms together. During construction they usually are quickly filled with a little bit of tar and maybe cork, but they often end up leaking. Proper way to fix then is to clean them out and fill with hydraulic cement - I know, I did our entire basement before finishing it.

Hopefully that is what they did before they finished the basement - sounds like they did.

• amyf5
    16 years ago

We are living in our second home and about to finish the basement (house built 2 years ago). One of our issues is tie rod holes. A few are visible, one is leaking, and presumably many are invisible. The leaking ones will be fixed with cork and cement in a few weeks under warranty by the waterproofing company. I think I should hire them to fill the ones that are not (yet) leaking. What about the invisible ones - can you find them and fix so that they never leak?

• worthy
    16 years ago

"fill the ones that are not (yet) leaking"

You mean they are actually not filled? Or do you want the previous material replaced? I'd only fill what was missing.

The only "invisible" tie rod holes might be behind insulation or such.

• amyf5
    16 years ago

Worthy - thanks for your response. I see now that they must all have been filled with something since I don't see holes all around the basement. So I guess I'm thinking if one is leaking, maybe none were filled properly and should be redone, but you are in favor of leaving them alone. Are you thinking that if they haven't leaked in two years they probably never will? I'm so worried about water trickling in after insulation and dry wall goes in. Thanks again. Amy

• worthy
    16 years ago

Are you thinking that if they haven't leaked in two years they probably never will?

Yes.

It's not unusual for the concrete guys to miss a tie hole or two.

If the foundation had been wrapped in a plastic membrane, such as Delta, the tie holes wouldn't have leaked at all. Be sure they check out all the tie holes while they're there.

• sue36
    16 years ago

This is why the exterior of the foundation should be water proofed, not damp proofed. Ours don't leak. Not even a hint of moisture.