Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wet studding under panel

Posted by ancy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 21:34

We have started a basement reno on the home we purchased under the exisiting panel it shows where the 2X4 studding has been stained with water although no signs of mold. Want to do this right do we need to cut out studding and replace or disinfect some how, or just keep on working. We are taking all the old panel off and dry walling.
Please reply soon as this is our weekend project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wet studding under panel

You might want to research the correct way to moisture barrier your foundation before covering anything up.Im reading a lot of posts where they are more concerned about cosmetics without realizing the repricussions of mold and rot. Mold happens fairly quickly, rotting generally takes years, but both are hidden issues that end up being costly as you end up tearing out what you originally accomplished.Water staining is a red flag,but if not damp or wet, could have been a past issue corrected by the former owner.Possibly you can look into that by contacting the former owner, but in any event, i would take measures to properly install the correct vapor barrier for your project as preventive maintenance.

o
RE: Wet studding under panel

sierraeast is absolutely correct.

We learned the hard way from a previous house and remodeled our most recent one correctly. We had a basement waterproofer come in and put a barrier on all walls that would be finished that tied into a perimeter drain system that went to the sump pump.

Don't forget to get a dual sump pump system with a battery backup too. They seem expensive until your out of power, or have a single pump failure, and you see water creeping up on the thousands of dollars of improvements in your basement. I've done that once and it was enough for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here