Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Insulation: What to do wen exterior is insulated?

Posted by chwtom (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 21:31

I am getting ready to finish the basement on my 5 year old home in Wisconsin. I am wondering what to do about insulation.

The basement foundation walls are 4" thick concrete. There is a 1" layer of rigid foam insulation on the exterior, and the foundation was damp-proofed with foundation sealant. The floors are 4" thick, with another " of clean stone base and a layer of visqueen. There is spray foam insulation in the joist bands.

Looking at the basement science page, they recommend using xps on the basement walls followed by a framed wall with batting, but say the best strategy is to insulated from the outside. Well, I did insulate from the outside, so now what do I need to do?

Can I just frame and bat since we have the foundation sprayed and a layer of rigid foam on the exterior? Or should I still put the rigid foam on the inside? I'm only finishing half my basement (it's a ranch), so it'll probably only be about 60 feet of wall, but I'd still rather not waste money on something that isn't needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Insulation: What to do wen exterior is insulated?

Are your basement walls really only 4" thick? I find that hard to believe--my impression was that 8" is typically the minimum.

Chances are there's still a good portion of the concrete wall that's above ground and not insulated. Were I in your position, I'd go with a thinner layer of XPS (probably 1") on the inside of the concrete, then fiberglass between the studs.

o

The recommended level of insulation depends on your climate. In the Lower 48 above the Mason Dixon Line, R-20 is the recommendation of Building Science Corp.'s Dr. Lstiburek. One inch of XPS = R5. So you've got a ways to go. In a cold climate, one-inch of XPS on the interior is sufficient; I'm not sure if one inch to the exterior will keep the interior walls above the dew point, thus protecting the fg from dampness.

o
Clarification

In a cold climate, one-inch of XPS on the interior is sufficient

Sufficient, that is, to keep the wall warm enough to prevent condensation. However, it must be supplemented by further insulation to achieve energy savings.

o

Thanks for the followup. Is there a way to test the wall to see if it is warm enough already--something like the floor test where you tape a square of plastic down?

o

Not that I know of.

But my thought is that the external insulation is so minimal--BSC and Building America recommend a minimum of 2"XPS for high performance in a cold climate--that the wall might still be cool. Plus there's likely extensive thermal bridging at the top and wicking up of moisture through the walls (unless there is insulation under the wall or a thermal break). If it were my home, I'd add at least an inch of high-R foam on the interior as well.

And don't forget the rim joist area, either with foam board well sealed, or easier and surer, spray foam.

Photobucket

Spray-foaming the rim joist area is an essential step in
creating a healthy energy-efficient basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: High R Value Foundation Assemblies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here