Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chwtom

Basement Insulation: What to do wen exterior is insulated?

chwtom
12 years ago

I am getting ready to finish the basement on my 5 year old home in Wisconsin. I am wondering what to do about insulation.

The basement foundation walls are 4" thick concrete. There is a 1" layer of rigid foam insulation on the exterior, and the foundation was damp-proofed with foundation sealant. The floors are 4" thick, with another " of clean stone base and a layer of visqueen. There is spray foam insulation in the joist bands.

Looking at the basement science page, they recommend using xps on the basement walls followed by a framed wall with batting, but say the best strategy is to insulated from the outside. Well, I did insulate from the outside, so now what do I need to do?

Can I just frame and bat since we have the foundation sprayed and a layer of rigid foam on the exterior? Or should I still put the rigid foam on the inside? I'm only finishing half my basement (it's a ranch), so it'll probably only be about 60 feet of wall, but I'd still rather not waste money on something that isn't needed.

Comments (5)