Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Heating Options

Posted by loreleiberks (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 08 at 21:05

I have a 1929 house with steam heat in New York. What options do I have for heat in the portions of the basement that are not near the boiler. It gets really cold near the back of the house where the basement is at ground level.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Heating Options

What is the condition of any windows? If they are single-pane you might first want to replace them or add a storm window. Many times basement windows are sub-standard even in new homes. Doors, especially sliders can also be big sources of heat loss.

Are you wanting to heat the space continually or just have auxulary warmth when using the space? I presume you have your own boiler. Having a radiator incorporated into an existing system would be a solution for continual heat. For occasional heat, there are many electric options. Baseboard, portable heaters or an electric fireplace. You would need to make certain that any electric heat was supported with proper wiring because some draw quite a bit of current.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: Basement Heating Options

You may want to consider panel radiators for the basement. They can be served by your existing steam boiler.

Here is a link that might be useful: panel radiators for basement heating

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here