Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement plumbing for toilet

Posted by mugsysmith (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 21:01

I have a question on possible plumbing for a toilet in my basement. Let me first set a picture of my plumbing. If you are looking at 50' sidewall my main sewer pipe comes down from the first floor about the middle of the wall. The pipe goes down to just above the basement floor and goes left for 25' and gradually slopes into floor until it is completely below the floor right at the corner of the basement. Just to the right of the vertical section of the pipe is my washer, dryer, and sink. This is about ten feet of space. I want to put a toilet next to the sink. Is this first even possible? I am thinking I either need a 4" tee where the elbow is at the floor so I can run a 4" pipe for the new toilet along the floor or a 4" wye of some sort. I am thinking a wye is better to angle the vertical pipe to drain towards the left and not straight down. I am also guessing to make up for the flange under the toilet I am going to need to put the toilet on a small platform. Will this work? Am I missing something? Thanks. Also, my basement is only about 6.5' high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement plumbing for toilet

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like it will work. Remember you have some pipe under the toilet and the line from the toilet needs to pitch towards the main drain at 1/4" per foot. If we're talking 10' or so from the toilet to the corner where you can connect to the main drain you're going to be a foot or so below the floor level.

o

Thanks for the followup. So let me see if I understand. From where I want the toilet to the first part of the main drain is about ten feet away. That main drain is just on the floor and doesn't go under ground yet. It doesn't go underground until 35' from the toilet which is the corner of my basement. And when I say underground, I mean it is like 3 inches under the floor. I was thinking if I elevate the toilet to cover for the 4 inches of pipe and 2.5 inches of slope, it might work. Hopefully this makes sense.

o

Thanks for the followup. So let me see if I understand. From where I want the toilet to the first part of the main drain is about ten feet away. That main drain is just on the floor and doesn't go under ground yet. It doesn't go underground until 35' from the toilet which is the corner of my basement. And when I say underground, I mean it is like 3 inches under the floor. I was thinking if I elevate the toilet to cover for the 4 inches of pipe and 2.5 inches of slope, it might work. Hopefully this makes sense.

o

Worked around a similar problem. I would consider a wall mounted toilet to give you sufficient clearance - only experienced the one from Grohe. On a quick Google, there are other brands out there. The other option might be an ejector pump / pit, which I would think is an expensive solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here