Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hehateme_gw

Sump Pump running every 3 minutes

hehateme
13 years ago

Hi:

We live in MN. This year we had near record snow fall.

Now with high temperatures snow is melting quickly.

Today my sump pump has been running every 3-4 minutes. It runs for 15 seconds or so.

Is this a cause for concern?

I have lived in this home for 4 years with no water issues.

Reason why I am paying more attention to this right now because I am about to finish my basement. I will be getting a water powered backup sump pump installed at the same time.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• worthy
    13 years ago

Check that the one-way valve is operating properly.

The backup is a good idea, as is a battery backup.

• hehateme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Worthy.
    I looked at my sump pump.
    It seems that it does have a check value.
    It is Jackal Model DJ-545. I don't know how to check to see if it is working.
    I opened the cover from the sump pump pit.
    I noticed that no water was coming into the sump pump pit from the drail tile. It seems to me that water was entering the pit from the holes at the bottom of the pit.
    I went outside the home to make sure that water was being discharged. I did see water coming out.
    Typically the sump pump discharge is connected to a hose that takes the water well away from my home. However that hose can freeze in winter so I disconnect it.
    Our soil type is clay.
    Either I have a water leak, or we just have very high water table due to excessive snow melting or my landscaping/gutters are a problem.
    I cannot find any issues with Gutters or Landscaping.
    I will call a plumber and have them check the check value.
    I will also quickly install a battery back valve now.

Thanks

• worthy
    13 years ago

It seems to me that water was entering the pit from the holes at the bottom of the pit.

Then it's not the check valve. The check valve simply stops water that you have pumped but that's still in the pipe above the valve falling back and starting the pump again in a wasteful cycle.

It sounds like your sump pump is doing the job it was intended to do. We had one like that. When it would start running after 11 months of idleness I was always wondering what that new noise was about. Spring runoff.

• artknotly
    13 years ago

the check valve is a black collar on the discharge line above the pump. you either don't have one or it is installed wrong. there is an image in the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: sump pump information

• worthy
    13 years ago

Good eye, brickeyee!

• hehateme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brickeyee,

You are correct. I had hose disconnected during the winter.
    I connected the hose again and now the sump pump runs every 5 to 10 minutes.

I also had city come in and inspect the water in my sump pump pit. They tested for chemicals to determine if there was a water leak. It turns out the there is no water leak.
    When they looked at the city plans to noticed that my house is in an area that had wet lands. So we have clay soil and high water table. These two issues are causing sump pump to run often.

I had several water proofing guys come in to see my basement. They all told me that my basement is dry, no water seepage or humidity. They told me that my landscaping is fine too.

All of them recommeded a backup sump pump. One of them recommeded replacing my current pump and getting another sump pump pit.

My current plan is to keep my current sump pump as it has been working well for 5 years now.
    I will add another sump pump in the same pit and keep it unplugged.
    I will also add a water based backup sump pump that runs off the city water. This pump does not go into the sump pump pit.
    I already have an alarm in the sump pump pit that alerts my security company if the water rises beyond a certain level.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

• KrisMN
    12 years ago

hehateme,

I was wondering if you solved this problem. We live in MN too, and during the nine years in our house, the sump pump has hardly ever run. In the last week it has starting running every two to three minutes.

Thanks.

• Larry Nath
    3 years ago

We had the same problem, sump pump running every 3 minutes 24 /7 for a couple of years. Over 3000 gallons a day, diverting it in warmer months into the street (no water was recycled.

Good news, the problem is resolved. We raised the sump pump up 4 bricks. No it doesn't hardly run.

Makes me where all water is going? I did warn my neighbors to check their normally dry sumps.

• Jack Mynes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Raising your pump raises the water level. This lets the water stand in your foundation longer. The pump may not come on as often but you still have an issue. Mine has been coming on every minute for 2 weeks now. City checked for leaks and found none. Plumber checked for recycling in the spouting to the storm sewer where the pump feeds out and the check valve. Every thing is working properly. My neighbor 25 feet away is not having any issues. I am stumped here.