Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hehateme_gw

Sound Proofing with Batt Insulation

hehateme
13 years ago

I am trying to choose contracts to finish my basement. The total area is about 1300 sq feet.

One of the contractor said that he will use batt insulation around my home theater and also on the walls between my unfinished utility room so provide sound proofing.

The cost is $1100.

I will have a drywall ceiling.

I have heard things many things about sound proofing:

1. Need channels to make it work

2. I need 2 drywall etc

I am trying to determine how effective BATT insulation is and if it is worth it.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• worthy
    13 years ago

Batts will give you a virtually indetectable improvement in STC, from the standard wall STC-34 to STC 36-37. It will do nothing to improve IIC (impact sounds).

Source: Popular Science March 1983

For systems that will be truly effective, see link. Or you can use Green Glue or sound attenuating drywall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound transmission through floors

• User
    13 years ago

I agree with worthy. Batts are a waste of money. We finished our basement last year and used the Green Glue with double 5/8 drywall on the ceiling. DH has elaborate AV system and watches sports. No sound transmission upstairs.

• hehateme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Worthy,
    Thanks for sharing this information. I feel fortunate that I discovered this forum.

house_elf
    Did you use green glue only in the ceiling above the home theater?
    I will have 4 in-celing speakers in my home theater. I am trying to determine if having in-ceiling speakers negates the benefits of having green glue and double layer of drywall in the ceiling.

Thanks once again for taking the timem to respond.

• User
    13 years ago

We only used Green Glue in the ceiling, but we wrapped all outlet and switch boxes with a sound dampening material that came in small sheets and looked like red putty. Sorry I don't remember what it was called. Of course, we insulated the exterior walls with 2" foam board (?) and rocksall batts between the living space and storage/furnace area. No drywall on the storage area side, tho.
    The trick to Green Glue is to use it liberally, and stagger the drywall seams. We have absolutely no complaints. Drywall guy had never used it, and complained beforehand, but admitted in the end that it was easy to put up.

• worthy
    13 years ago

4 in-celing speakers in my home theater... negates the benefits of having green glue and double layer of drywall in the ceiling.

Anything that penetrates the ceiling gives a pathway for the sound/vibration. Since the speakers are the source of the sound, they would be the worst offenders of all.

• User
    13 years ago

We don't have in-ceiling speakers. They sit on the floor.
    But we did install 14 recessed cans and a ceiling fan.

• worthy
    13 years ago

we did install 14 recessed cans

Frankly, with 14 holes in the ceiling, there's not much point in soundproofing. BTW, unless the potlights are IC rated, it's a fire hazard to put insulation in direct contact with them as you say your contractor wants to do.