Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY sump pump drywell

Posted by rob_r (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 17:05

My sump pump discharge exits my house above grade, currently draining via 2 inch flexible hose running into an alley, approximately 50+ ft. This creates 2 problems: in the spring, summer and fall it discharges fine but water collects in the alley and is a bit of a nuisance; in the late fall and winter the flexible tubing freezes and the pump still runs occassionally, which forces me to unhook the 2" hose and let the water discharge directly from the side of my house.

My solution is the put in a drywell, however actually know very little about them other than what i have read online. Seems fairly straightforward. The cheapest drywell I have found is about $100. However, I have read about some who have used a buried garbage can with numerous holes drilled in it, filled with stone in lieu of the actual drywell. Is this a feasible option? What's to prevent the can from collapsing? Maybe I'm answering my own question, but would it make more sense to spend the extra cash for a resovoir that is intended for this purpose.

Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY sump pump drywell

Can you not plumb it into the house sewer line? (with a u bend to stop back flow?)

o
RE: DIY sump pump drywell

I'll have to check local code. I think they consider that diverting storm water to a septic sewer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here