Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

Sealed wall in basement scaring off buyers

chicagoerin
15 years ago

Hello! I need your advice. I am the second owner of a ranch with a full unfinished basement that has a wall that has been coated in an epoxy type material. It is scaring off buyers-I am doing flat fee MLS/by owner. It looks wet, but when you touch it your realize it's a sealant . I questioned the original owner about the wall (when I bought) and she said that there was a bit of discoloration coming in through the concrete blocks that the builder assured her was normal, but she wanted them to seal it just to be sure. I keep in touch with her and believe she is telling all there is to tell She is a nervous nell and had them do all kinds of extra things like that. The builder has a great rep but is huge and when I called them they said my file had been moved to storage and may or may not be able to be retrieved.

The wall is a non issue. Basement is dry as a bone, but buyers understandably are freaked by it. What should I do? Should I hang a sign explaining? Have an inspector look at it and sign something saying it's fine? ??

Thanks much!

Erin

Comments (14)

• worthy
    15 years ago

How about paint?

As is proper practice, I always have dehumidifiers going in basements. But I learned to hide them during showings as they kept provoking questions about how the basement must have a water problem otherwise I wouldn't need a dehumidifier. (I'd love to do mould tests in their homes vs. mine.)

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

since the basement is 2200 sq ft of concrete block walls, I could easily paint the one wall that looks wet, but not any others..do you think just having it not look wet would be better? Maybe paint it gray?

• worthy
    15 years ago

Look for one of the paints that adheres to shiny surfaces without special prep. I've even used them successfully on ceramic wall tiles.

• beer_geek
    15 years ago

If you're going to paint it, paint all of the walls. One painted wall will prompt just as many questions.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"If you're going to paint it, paint all of the walls. One painted wall will prompt just as many questions." I wondered about that...honestly, it's just way to much painting for me to tackle. It is a HUGE basement. Until I read this I had decided to paint the one wall so at least there wasn't the shock factor of rounding the corner and seeing a wall that appears wet...

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think about me painting it with that chalkboard paint and making it a fun place for my neices to write on the wall? It would eliminate the we look and would have a real use?

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

...above.....and be an excuse for not painting all walls...

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry don't understand "...above.....and be an excuse for not painting all walls..."???

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks much for your suggestions. Hopefully the pics will help you visualize my situation. One is of how the wall normally looks and the other is the wet looking wall.
    thanks again
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/erinb007/basement1.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/erinb007/basement2.jpg

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

sorry, the chalk board paint mentioned above sounded like a good idea, an area for the kids to play...and would explain why all the walls were not painted....

• beer_geek
    15 years ago

Looking at the pictures, I'd say it's more than just the wall being sealed that raises red flags. The wall being more than one color exascerbates the problem. That white stuff just looks like a water problem. Painting it will certainly make it look better than it does.

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

I think you need to disclose whatever happened there regardless of how you cover it up.

• bungeeii
    15 years ago

I wonder what the whole story is there.

Discoloration normal? Sealing it just in case? I just don't know what would cause that kind of discoloration, but I'm not a pro either. I would have long ago painted that, just to not have to look at such a hideous thing. That's awful to look at, it's no wonder people get scared off.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi folks-just wanted to give you the after pic. I can't access my pics from work, so a link to a related discussion on the home buyers board will have to suffice. Thanks for all your suggestions.

andrelaplume2-there is nothing to disclose. Per the original owner, the Builder and my inspector,the wall is just a cosmetic eyesore. She was overzealous and wanted them to seal as a precaution. There has never been a bit of moisture in the basement, it just looked awful. I painted it to look like a chalk board so take a look and let me know!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg031633224130.html?31

Here is a link that might be useful: wall link