Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning & painting unfinished basement floor

Posted by alberta_rose (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 16:22

I need some advice on how to successfully clean a concrete floor in the basement of a brand new house, and then any tips for painting would be greatly appreciated! I've sloshed hot soapy water all over and brushed with a broom (twice!) but it's still terribly dusty! My 2 and 4 year old boys play down there all the time and they get covered with white post-construction dust!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning & painting unfinished basement floor

Make sure the soap and surface dust is removed. Then apply latex concrete floor paint.

o

Try renting a carpet cleaner (get the large one if you have a big basement) at Home Depot or Lowe's. Use hot water and the liquid detergent in the bin and work the floor twice - once north to south and once east to west.
I used the cleaner machine after I moved into my new home and got a lot of dirt up.

o

If it's bare concrete, that may be the source of the dust....if so, you can't really wash it all away, since it is coming from the concrete!

Alex

o

DON"T do it now! If it is a newly built house you need to allow the concrete to fully cure. Also time will allow the house to settle and you can see what hairline cracks are going to occur.

o

Yup, you have to wait.

If the kids are playing down there, might want to put a cheap area rug down for a while. A year or so later, go ahead and clean & paint.

o

Using latex paint, I've not found any reason to wait in the last 20 years of building new homes.

A month or two of curing is all that's needed.

Keep in mind that by the time you get your new home, the basement floor may be as much as a year old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete Painting

o

Yeah, it's been close to a year since it was poured... I've never heard you have to wait, but since it's that long anyway, probably not an issue. Thanks for all the comments so far!

o

Go ahead and paint it now. It will be OK.

Good Luck, The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here