Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water coming into basement what to do next?

Posted by rowen402 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 15:42

My unfinished basement just flooded. The basement is about 700 sq. ft. and there is about an inch of water. I just purchased this house although the prior owner told me the basement has never flooded. The house is on a high hill so I didn't expect it to flood.

For various reasons the metal bulkhead door was left open exposing the weak inner bulkhead door to the elements. It been raining very very hard here so I have been assuming the water was getting in though the bulkhead. The basement is totally unfinished. All that's down there is my water heater and oil tank.

How concerned should I be about the water damaging something? Do I need to go down and get the water up immediately or can I wait until tomorrow and have the pro's deal with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water coming into basement what to do next?

Im no expert, infact I posted my own water damage question...

While the water needs to get out as quickly as possible, if it is just a few puddles or so..I think it can wait until you get people in to pump it out.

Invest in a sump pump. If I buy the house I want(which has a possible history of minor water..few puddles here and there on the sides), Im going all out with water protection.

o
RE: Water coming into basement what to do next?

As long as the water level is below the bottom of your oil tank and water heater and is unfinished it should be ok until you could get some one to help you out with removing the water.

If you can afford it, I would use a professional service to remove the water if there is no drain for it to drain into.

Also that way, if there is for some reason, any damage, if you are insured, you can show that you did all that you could do to try and prevent any damage to avoid any insurance claims.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Home Doctor Remodeling

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here