Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vapour barrier question

Posted by nohandle (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 14:43

My basement currently has a four foot cement block foundation wall topped with a 3+ foot wood stud wall to the ceiling. I am building a 2x4 wall in front of the existing walls flush to the ceiling, which will give me room to insulate the block wall and add electrical receptacles as well. This means there will be a lot of insulation in the top half (existing stud wall), but that's ok with me (I don't want to create a ledge either).
To create a thermal break between the foundation and the stud wall, I was going to attach some xps to the foundation wall, and add batt insulation over top in between the new studs. It is my understanding that a foundation wall covered in this way does not require a vapour barrier on the warm side, since the xps is a vapour barrier in itself. However, the top half of the wall (existing stud wall) is above grade and therefore requires a vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation.
My question is, am I going to create problems if I add a poly vapour barrier over the batt insulation on the entire wall, considering that I will have xps attached to the foundation on the bottom half of the wall?
I am trying to do this as economical as possible, which is why I'm not insulating entirely with xps or spray foam.
A compromise may be to add a layer of xps against the sheathing on the top part as well and skip the poly altogether.
Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vapour barrier question

According to Building Science Corp., it does no harm to add an (unnecessary) vapour barrier atop the XPS in the basement. That's exactly what building inspectors have required me to do on new builds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here