Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Denim or fiberglass Insulation?

Posted by the-tech-guy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 14:28

Hello all,
I am in the process of insulating my basements walls and was wondering which type of batts to use: fiberglass or denim? My walls already have XPS glued to them but I want more warmth. My main concern is health reasons. Is denim really that much healthier than fiberglass? It is definitely more expensive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Denim or fiberglass Insulation?

Once it's confined behind the drywall, the irritant qualities of fibreglass are irrelevant. And despite the videos of the denim insulation companies, their product is not so warm and wonderful that you shouldn't also use gloves and masks when installing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton Insulation still doesn't work

o

After spending a week ripping stinky older fiberglass insulation from behind our basement walls, I really wouldn't recommend either for below-grade use -- they both absorb moisture, and the damp old fiberglass, at least, smells so gawdawful it's a living hazard.

I used the denim last year in the attic, and it was a dream to work with compared to the fiberglass. Use all precautions of course, but my experience was such that I'll never go back to fiberglass if I don't absolutely have to.

You can't add more foam or something else that's mold-proof?

o

More XPS or EPS (expanded polystyrene) fits the bill, as does rockwool. But in the wrong conditions, even XPS will support mould growth.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 17:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here