Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Retention - Please Help!

Posted by sue__wa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 14:19

My home is 11 years old this summer. Water retention in our crawl space has revealed an awful odor, and I've been told that rodents have invaded our insulation.

Our exterminator has told us that the insulation is "shot" under the house, they have invaded it and they will not continue to trap the rodents if there is water under the house.

I am sick with worry. I have two children here and 3 dogs. The terriers have killed rats in the yard, but obviously this is far beyond their scope.

I know I live in Seattle, but this house was built 11 years ago and for that I expect water retention as part of the plan. Any home warranty that I had was up 8 years ago.

Things are getting bad: My dogs are urinating on the heat intake vents to "mark their spot" and it is almost to the point of unbearable. I come home and my house smells like dog/vermin urine.

Please, if anyone knows how I can fix this problem, please post here. I have two children and this is not a healthy environment.

I want to know:
#1 What to do about the water
#2 The rodents

Please, if you have any knowledge or can pass on any information, I would really really appreciate it!

Thanks, Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Retention - Please Help!

You don't mention how much water? Does the crawl space have a concrete floor, commonly called a rat slab? How did the rats get in? Is the grade of the house sloped away from the structure? Are the gutters overflowing next to the house?
You need to find the way the rats got in and seal it. Pump the water out of the crawl space. Pull out all the insulation if it conceals the rodents. Have the exterminating company bait and trap the crawl space. Find the source of the water and stop it from coming in. If you have a dirt floor, pour a concrete slab to discourage visitors.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here