Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vamom3

Help! Is this basement 'fix' correct?

vamom3
16 years ago

Hi,

I had recently posted on this site about our basement problems.

The company that installed them came out at the end of the week to repair what we felt were probably clogged french drains. We had water on the floor in several spots after every big rain. Also, in the last year the creeping mildew and musty smell had greatly increased.

So, they begin opening the floor and soon figure out that the 2 hours they had been allotted was not enough. The guys figure out the french drain is clogged with mud over about a 40 foot section and they aren't done yet!

When they realized the scope of the problem they called the franchise owner who tried to then tell me it was not under warranty. We came to an agreement about this job and I will pay a small amount to have it completed.

The source of the mud was coming from a corner cinder block at the floor level. The blocks before it and after have small drainage holes. This block has a hole big enough for a crow bar to fit through. The site supervisor said that it could have been damaged when the original job was undertaken as they were chipping away at the cement to get to the footer and lowest blocks.

To fix the mud leak they would like to fill the damaged block with fast drying cement and seal it. They will then drill drainage holes in a block above it. They will replace all the french drains with new material and we are paying for them to raise the plastic sheeting that covers the lower part of the wall to the 5 ft mark.

Does this sound correct???? Please help- they are coming back next week! Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio