Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Flooring over Concrete Question

Posted by ozziepuppy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 14:05

Our basement flooring has to be redone after a sump pump failure. I am not sure I want to do carpet and pad again and I am wondering about ceramic tile. I am thinking that with ceramic tile on the concrete, if there is another sump pump failure, it can just be dried out and disinfected without the hassle and expense of replacing a carpet and pad.

Is it OK to install ceramic tiles directly over concrete? Putting in underlayment would defeat the purpose of the ceramic tiles.

Is this something that can be done ourselves if we get the proper tools (I imagine that an appropriate tile cutter or saw would be the main one).

Can anyone recommend a good reference on how to do this?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
OR: Legato Carpet Tiles

Am also considering Legato Carpet Tiles (by Milliken). Has anyone used these in a basement? It would not be so great if the basement floods again, but on the other hand, it would be a LOT easier to install. Would appreciate hearing about others' experiences. Thanks.

o
RE: Basement Flooring over Concrete Question

My husband and I installed the Leggato carpet tiles 5 years ago on top of our concrete basement floor. It was soooo easy to do and looks gorgeous. Much better looking than "Flor"tiles. Shows no seams....very plush looking.

been reading here close to ten years and just had to answer this one. u won't be sorry.

o

Have a finished basement also, and think I will check into these myself. Thanks.

o

Is it OK to install ceramic tiles directly over concrete? Putting in underlayment would defeat the purpose of the ceramic tiles

Okay, assuming the floor is high-strength concrete over a tamped gravel base with an overall thickness of 8-10 ins. But to avoid stress cracks, I'd put the tiles on a decoupling membrane such as Ditra.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here