Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jibba_gw

Sump Pump?

jibba
18 years ago

Here is the problem:

I have a 1920 brick colonial in DC and once or twice a year I get significant water in my basement after serious rain storms. I have located where the water enters, and it's on a "shared" wall that I have with my neighbor. I can't figure out what to do about this problem, as I suspect that somehow water is getting between the walls of our houses and is flowing into my basement through cracks at the base of the wall.

The basement is finished, so this problem has cost a lot of $$ in terms of lost flooring, but I can't do a French drain since I'm on elevated land with retaining walls, fence, etc. No way to get a backhoe in and it sounds like a nightmare anyway.

I was thinking of a sump pump, but not sure how to install, where to place it, etc. Another very low tech idea was to create a floor "barrier" around the water entry points with some wood and liquid nails in an attempt to contain the water that does flow in. Then I could use a wet/dry vac to get rid of it before it flows into the finished areas of the basement.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,

Jibba

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia