Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Popular subfloor question raised again...

Posted by the-tech-guy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 13:34

I am looking into doing my basement floor with DRIcore or Barricade. DRIcore says in the AGT - Air gap technology on their panels where moisture and air can be breath, they have a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom to prevent it. Barricade has styrofoam and they say it traps the moisture on the concrete. Any suggestions on which one is better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Popular subfloor question raised again...

The 1/2" of extruded polystyrene (XPS) on the bottom of the Barricade panels is vapour semi-permeable, allowing vapour to move through slowly. As well, the channels provide a drainage route and reservoir for excess bulk water. The nominal 1/2" of XPS on the Barricade provides minimal insulation value.

Dri-Core (and similar products) use an impermeable plastic bubble material on the bottom which provides a way for excess water to drain away.

Though I have finished many basements, I haven't used either modular system. I prefer the Building Science Corp. (BSC) recommendation of XPS panels topped by plywood.

My concern relates to the OSB on top of both systems.
Compared to plywood, OSB retains moisture longer and is hence more likely to support mould growth. Furthermore, the greater number of joints in the surface of both systems, vs. using 2'x4' or 4'x8' layers of XPS, seems to provide more possibilities of moisture reaching the OSB than the plywood in the BSC approach.

In any case, neither system nor the Building Science Corp approach are cures for problem basements with active bulk water leakage.

This post was edited by worthy on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 15:10

o
RE: Popular subfloor question raised again...

Deleted - wrong forum sorry!

This post was edited by squishyball on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 14:43

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here