Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost of 1' XPS vs FiberGlass insulation?

Posted by hary_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 13:09

I'm about to hire a contractor to finish about 850sq ft of my basement, ceiling is 7.5ft tall.

I read about XPS insulation vs FB. What would be the additional cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost of 1' XPS vs FiberGlass insulation?

The product cost wouldn't be a big deal (depending on thickness, too), but you'll have to ask the contractor to tally it all up for labor, etc, since it'll take a little more time. (Nothing against them in particular, but don't let someone tell you that "you don't need it" - a convenient thing to say when someone would rather not do it that way.)

o

An alternative, which has recently been accepted in my jurisdiction, but longer in others, is MemBrain, a "smart" vapor retarder (Class II), which actually changes permeability depending on the amount of vapor in the wall.

Building Science Corp. mentions its use in abovegrade walls, but I can't find mention of it in below grade applications, though MemBrain says tests at the University of Minnesota show it works well in basements in cold climates.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Smart Vapor Retarder

o

Thanks guys. Do I need to apply Drylock prior to glueing XPS on concrete?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here