Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metal Support Beam in Basement

Posted by claga (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 12:48

Hi,
When my home was built the contractor used a metal I beam in the basement for the main support beam for the house.
It has some minor rust.
What to you recommend to cover up the rust?
Should I just box the beam in, or paint?
If I paint what are the prep steps I need to take.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metal Support Beam in Basement

Since the beam & support poles are out in the open in my shop I painted them. I first sanded/wire brushed them to remove the rust followed by wiping them down with thinner to remove the dust. Primed them with Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer then top coated with semi-gloss Rust-Oleum. It's been about 15 years since I did this & I have absolutely no peeling or flaking.

-Dave

o

thanks dave

o

There are numerous brands of 'rust conversion' coatings available.

They turn tight surface rust into a black stable base for paint.

Instead of trying to clean the surface rust to bare metal, you remove any loose rust, then just paint the conversion coating on.

Once it dries, apply paint.

o

Oh, I didn't get down to clean bare metal everywhere. There was some light surface rust left, hence my choice in primer.

o

If the relative humidity in the basement is kept at 50% or less ( I do not recommend anything less than 50%), rusting will be extremely slow. Most any paint will be adequate. But the conversion coating will be the deluxe solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here