Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete Slab Concerns

Posted by wjansen (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 12:04

Hi Guys,

I'm stalling on beginning my basement project because I'm concerned about two aspects of the current concrete floor in my basement:

1 - Uneveness
2 - Control/Expansion Joints

With the control joints, my basement slab is divided into about 8 'sections' of concrete, and after nearly 30 years of settling, they are uneven in random ways - nothing extreme, but more than the 3/16" over 10' requirement.

First, what is the best way to map the 'topology' of an uneven floor? This is more difficult than first imagined. It doesn't appear to be an easy case of spreading some floor leveller in the low spots (would be very expensive if I tried to do the whole floor) as the different floor sections (each maybe 6' x 8') seem to slope slightly differently - any ideas with a basement floor like this?

Also, with the joints (~1" deep grooves between concrete sections to create areas of preferential cracking during settling), should I fill these in (with leveller or concrete) before beginning any flooring or construction?

Thanks for any help you can pass my way as I can't seem to find much on the internet about joints in concrete slabs and how they affect the basement finishing process.

Regards...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete Slab Concerns

Depending on how you are finishing the floor you may not have to do anything much at all. If tiling, for instance, any lack of level will be made up by the tilesetter adding more thinset.

The control joints will not telegraph through DriCore, XPS or Delta FL or their equivalents.

To totally level the floor, you can use a laser level the same way concrete contractors do when they pour it.

o
Joint in deep basement slab

Dear all,
I am wondering how can make a construction joint in 4th basement slab 700mm thick, -15m form natural ground level, supported by sandy clay soil saturated.
Your help is certainly useful for me
Thanks a lot.
Tien

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here