Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fmart322

Will hydrostatic pressure be a problem

fmart322
14 years ago

if I install a crock in my basement so I can install a pump? I've never had water problem, till this winter season. My house was built in 1970 with no crock for a pump or french drains. Now, I want to install one yet I'm concerned about hydrostatic pressure and movement of soils if I break open the basement floor to soon or while I'm still getting water.

If anyone is familiar with this please give me some info. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• vitiminj
    14 years ago

We had an issue with hydrostatic pressure. Just installing a crock will not solve the problem. The water needs a way to get to the pump. The original owner of our house installed a crock after construction. He had a 6" PVC pipe sticking out of the crock. The pipe was only 3 feet long. It worked for the water in that area but not the rest of the house.

When ours was fixed they jacked hammered 12" deep & 12" out from the foundation wall. Around the perimeter of the whole house. The block that was below the floor was drilled every 4-5". Those are "weep holes" they let the water in. Then it is was back filled with gravel and 6" PVC pipes with holes drilled on all sides. The PVC pipes lead back to the crock where the water is then pumped out. You can stop water from getting into your home. You just need to give it a place to go. Where you planning on doing the whole perimeter of the house? If not I don't think a crock would be much help.

We had rain while they were waterproofing. The only issue it caused was the trench would fill with water. Be ready for a lot of dust.

• fmart322
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In my basement, all 3 times I got water it came from one area, from there it flows around the basement. That's why I want to put just a crock in now. I understand it wouldn't be completly fixed but it would be something as opposed to nothing. Even if it caught half of the water before it got into my basement that would be a huge help. plus, I know it would never get above the point where my heaters are. Also, if when they built this house if they poured the basement on a bed of stone I'm pretty sure that the water would flow pretty good to the point of least resistance, the crock and pump.

I would start it now if I was sure that if I opened a hole in the floor that the water and mud wouldn't come flooding in. That's the only thing stopping me from doing this now.