Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humid-Evac in basement?

Posted by edelstein (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 11:58

I am looking for advice from someone who doesn't stand to profit from our decision.

Our house, (2 stories with full basement, of which one back corner is a walk-out) was built in 1976 without drain tile. The walls are concrete block, and the floor is cement.

With the spring thaw, we have recently had problems with groundwater coming in on a front corner/front wall, which pretty much "unfinished" our previously finished basement, and have decided to have interior drain tile installed to avoid this in the future. One of the additional options that was offered to us was a Humid-Evac system, which is said to reduce moisture in the basement by drawing moisture out from under the slab.

Any thoughts on this? Is this truly a value-add, or is it more of a gimmick, designed to get us to spend an additional $1000? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humid-Evac in basement?

Have a dehumidifier, its tested to dry out moist humid area in the house

o

This study of sub-slab dehumidification systems in Wisconsin found decidedly mixed results, with most homes experiencing higher humidity levels in the summer without active dehumidification and lower levels in the winter.

Sub-slab venting was primarily developed as a way of mitigating radon buildup, with the secondary effect in some instances of dehumidifying. I don't understand how a contractor could install an effective system without first removing your existing concrete floor.

From the conclusions of the study by the non-profit Energy Center of Wisconsin:

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:51

o

Thanks for your feedback, starraffy and worthy!

Boy, that's a lot of data... In balance, I think there are probably better ways we can spend $1000, especially if we have a dehumidifier running as needed...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here