Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregc73_gw

Adding second Sump Pit

gregc73
15 years ago

Hi,

We have a rather small 700 sq ft. basement in our house that gets a lot of rain seepage when we get heavy rains. I've been working to improve the grading around the house and will continue on that project this summer. However, whenever we get about an inch of rain, our one sump pump is hammered with water. In the past, we had the water get to the point where the single sump pump couldn't keep up and the water rose out of the sump pit. Since then we've replaced the sump pump with a better pump and it now keeps up, but it is still cycling every 5 seconds or so in really heavy rains.

My question is, do you think it would be beneficial to install another sump pit on the other side of the basement? The seepage seems to be pretty uniform throughout the basement (there is no one spot that gets it worse than others). This would just be a pit without any french drains or anything leading to it. I could dig the pit and install everything myself, so my thinking is, for about $400 I could get this installed and maybe save myself some headaches. Is it worth the effort or is this just a case of doing something just to do it?

Comments (4)