Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elenal_gw

epoxy flooring for basement??experiences

elenal
18 years ago

Hi: Having just abandoned trying to paint my concrete basement floor (long story, not interesting), I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with epoxy flooring in the basement (the kind that consists of various colored fine sand-like granules). This is a below-grade basement with an old, rough, concrete floor that in many places has the residue from the adhesive from the old linoleum that used to cover the basement floor. I'm looking to have the basement floor look clean and fresh, be easy to mop in the future, and do all of this on a budget--that's it. It is a utility basement, not a family room of any sort. Thanks for sharing any insight into this product.

Comments (11)

• djm253525
    18 years ago

I used the epoxy in my garage. Ilove it! It's clean and durable. However, I wouldn't paint a basement floor if there is a chance of putting tile down in the future. If not, paint and enjoy!

• demark
    18 years ago

We used the Rustoleum "EpoxyShield" product on our basement floor and it worked out great. Cost $40 per 250 sq feet from HD or Lowes (can't remember which).

We first power washed the floor to get it nice and clean. After it dried, I mixed the two containers and painted the floor. It was pretty simple.

It really made the space look a lot nicer. It's still a utility basement, but finishing the floor "took the edge off". Everything just wipes off as opposed to seeping into the floor.

- Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum EpoxyShield

• elenal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much djm and Tony for sharing your experiences with the epoxy flooring. I'm really glad as it sounds like we've got the right product in mind, finally, for this project. I appreciate the input, and apologize for the delay in responding--my computer was in the "hospital" all of last week!

• blue_fastback
    18 years ago

I have used in my garage and it does hold up well. I am think about using it in my storage room in my basement.

• schreibdave
    18 years ago

For those who have used the Rustoleum paint on their garage floors - how did you find the process of cleaning up any oil or paint spots? Was it hard to get the oil up and did the paint adhere? Thanks

• jingle_arlington
    18 years ago

Do you need any special ventilation when you put down the epoxy flooring and does it work on old, friable concrete? Can you give me some advise on how long it takes to cure? Is it possible for someone to do that has very, very little experience in flooring? Thanks in advance.

• epoxyinfo
    17 years ago

I really would like to help you, so the best way is to send me some pictures of your basement floor,
    how I can give you some useful advice.

• powertoolgeek
    17 years ago

I have used the Rustoleum Basement paint several times and I am really impressed with its look. I used it in an old basement with the pit marks and rust stains and all and it looks like a million bucks now. I sprinkled the flakes in it and those go a long way to take your eye off the irregularities of the floor. I just powerwashed the floor and a few days later I painted it. It has been holding up very well on my first job (about 5 years ago) so I am hoping it works just as well on the floor in my current house. It is very easy to use, very low fumes (they only lasted a few hours), quick dry time, (4 hours for light traffic, 12 hours for a full cure). Just mix them together, go watch your favorite sitcom, (need to let the mix sit for 30 minutes) come back and paint away.

Mike

• ken
    13 years ago

My son recently used the Rustoleum basement epoxy coating in his basment, did a great job. He had several basement epoxy kits left over. I would like to use them for my garage. Does anyone have any experience with using this product in a garage? My concern is if it will hold up to the hot tires! Is there some additive that I could use to upgrade this product to the same level as the Garage coating? Anythoughts?

• dejong1993
    11 years ago

If you would like to look further into the epoxy route I suggest checking into this website. It breaks down cost and claims that you can save up to 800 dollars by doing it yourself. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Epoxy - do it yourself