Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paneling on basement walls

Posted by sirk1313 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 11:06

Instead of redoing my whole basement with drywall (save money), I am wondering if anyone has tips as to paint over paneling and make it look good. A friend of mine said there was a technique that you can do to make the paneling look very similar to flat walls. Any ideas?? HELP!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paneling on basement walls

You can remove all trim(s), and lightly sand the gloss off of the paneling. Then treat it the same as drywall finishing using mesh tape on the seams and perforated paper tape on inside corners and where the wall meets the ceiling. or just caulk along the cieling if not finishing the cieling.Two coat the tape joints as well as filling the grooves, then for a third coat, skim coat the entire surface.For the third coat, i would use topping compound , as it finishes nicer with less shrinkage. Then texture,(if wanted), prime and paint.
Before doing anything, you should inspect the paneling for any water stains to see if you might have moisture issues,and if that's the case, deal with that first, as you will eventually end up tearing out the new work you just accomplished.If you do have water leakage problems, find out the correct method for dealing with it in your area.

o

That's a good point by sierraeast. I found moisture problems and mold behind my panelling and had to fix the problem and replace the sodden fiberglass with styrofoam in the area. The rot was just starting at the backs and bottoms of some of the panels.

Ted

o

Wood panneling is not allowed in many places without a drywall backer.
The thin wood stuff burns very quickly without backing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here