Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement leaking on one wall.

Posted by David0321 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 10:48

I'm getting ready to redo my half basement. We have a Tri Level house with a half basement. Only half of it is under ground. The house is 33 years old and I built it. When we built it we installed drainage tile at the basement floor level on three sides of it. We painted the outside of the walls with tar on all four sides.

Guess where it is leaking. The side that is next to the crawl space on the ground level. We did not put drainage on the crawl space side as best as I can remember. Not sure where the water is coming in from the walls or floor. Should know more when I pull the paneling down. I have seen no leaking from the out side walls that we put the drainage tile in.

In 30 some years it has only leaked about 10 times. It only does it when we have days and days of rain.

So I'm trying to find a way I can fix this before I proceed with the remodel. Can anyone give me any ideas on where to start with this?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement leaking on one wall.

Once the panelling is removed you may see small settlement cracks that are letting in water.

At the least, weepers need to be added to the side missing them. You don't mention to where the weepers lead. It should be to daylight, a municipal system or to a sump so it can pooled and pumped out far from the basement.

Before backfilling, pack the coves, use a modern waterproofing system such as a dimpled membrane or peel and stick.

Fortunately, you have only a half-basement, so excavation costs should not be excessive.

o

The wall that is leaking is next to a crawl space. I would have to dig out the dirt next to the wall from underneath the crawl space. I have no sump pump don't really need one. The only spot that is leaking is against one wall. If I ran a tile inside the crawl space there is no where to drain it as it inside the foundation footing. Big problem.

o

The wall that is leaking is next to a crawl space. I would have to dig out the dirt next to the wall from underneath the crawl space.

I was suggesting that you excavate around the exterior of the crawlspace and run the weepers there to a drain, as in the drawing below, which deal swith curing damp crawls.

o

Thanks worthy. Had not thought of going around the the exterior of the crawl space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here