Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bolting to steel ibeam

Posted by dochersh (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 10:20

I am thnking of bolting 2x6 to the bottom of the steel ibeam in my basement to provide support for boxing in the beam and nearby ducts. Any concerns associated with drilling boltholes in the beam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bolting to steel ibeam

I'm in the same boat. I built a wall under my beam and have it wedged in with shims, need to do something perm.
Also I have a beam I'm going to box in, but think I'm gonna try to attach drywall (somehow) without losing too much headroom.

o

No problem. I drilled holes in my I beam and was surprised how easy it was to drill.

o

You can also use powder actuated tools.

o

Worthy, are you high on drugs! Sure shooting a .27 cal actuated nail into steel, that's a good idea. Then maybe you can drive to the Emergency room, blindfolded!
Idiot!
Ron

o

Powder actuated tools work fine on steel beams.
It takes one of the larger caliber tools like a .27 Hilti to do the job, but if you have on hearing protection and eye protection it is about the same as driving them into concrete.

o

A Hilti powder actuated would work and be quicker than drilling, though loud.

For Ron:

Check out the Hilti website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilti fastener

o

Not only is it done as a matter of course in commercial buildings. There's a whole array of literature showing it provides a superiour connection. But of course you have to use the properly sized actuator and connector and safety precautions. I'll have to check on exactly what actuator my carpenter uses. (Last I looked, he still has both eyes. :-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here