Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold basement floor

Posted by Jewel654 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:13

We will be hiring a contractor in the next year or so to finish our walk-out basement. In the meantime, we're researching methods and products to ensure that we know how to talk with the contractors we invite to bid the project. We want to make sure the end result is a dry, well-lit, warm space.

One of our concerns is how to keep damp and cold from emanating up from the poured concrete floor. In the 13 years we've owned the house, the floor has always appeared to be dry with no seepage, but I understand that there could be moisture coming through that currently dissipates into the air. That moisture would be trapped under flooring and cause problems if not addressed first.

What products should we research that would address both the possibility of damp as well as insulation of basement floors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold basement floor

Thanks for your reply. We have looked into the spray foam insulation for the walls, but am not sure how it would be of use on top of an existing basement floor. The link shows use under floors (before the concrete is poured I believe), between floors/rooms, and filling cinder block. ???

o

One inch of XPS (extruded polystyrene) on the floor insulates and provides moisture protection for finished floor surfaces.

See illustration below from the US Department of Energy's Building America.

o

Other non-insulating alternatives, each of which have competitors with similar products, are: Dri-Core and Delta-FL.

XPS boards require additional layers of ply over them; Delta-FL may require additional layers depending on the finish floor; Dri-Core and competitors are ready for the finished flooring without an additional layer.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 14:25

o

Thank you, Worthy. We appreciate this information!

o

the fact that it is cold .. there is a high chance that humidity level is not regulated and might cause problems in the future like formation of molds and mildews & other pests. regulate humidity with a help of a dehumidifier. there are units not too expensive and yet effective in regulating humidity

o

A dehumidifier will help this. I mounted mine on the wall above the washing machine drain. That way the condensate ould drain without a pump. As well, a heat pump water heater will dehumidify your basement while producing hot water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here