Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

Finishing space under basement stairs. (pics)

charliedawg
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm a first time DIYer. Usually I'm the gopher for my husbands projects but I'm doing this one all on my own.

I am building a walk-in storage area for my husbands hunting and fishing gear. I'm hoping to suprise him with this. Since our basement is unfinished, we are rarely down there. I'm working on it while he is at work.

This area will include a locked gun rack, rod holder, a place for hanging his outdoorsy clothes and boots, shelves for the door to store small boxes of ammunition, fishing lures, etc. There will also be a reinforced secure door. (husband will probably have to help me with that once everything else is finished)

For all of you who love to hunt and fish, any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my first progress picture.

Comments (7)

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

Good for you. I don't know many women who would tackle the dirty work you have completed and it looks well done. I do notice a couple things that I'll offer as suggestions however.

I notice your water heater nearby. They all eventually leak. After the surprise to your DH, have him install a drain pan under the water heater. That way you will be able to direct water from the leaking water heater into a floor drain. Also, cut the drywall away from the floor at least 1". That way it won't wick moisture from the concrete. You'll cover this with base trim.

I'm sure you've measured the rack and know the guns will fit before the ceiling slopes. You only have about 3 feet of width so storing anything large to the forward portion of your space will require getting past the rack (or cabinet). Rods on the opposite wall.

Make certain you have a dehumidifier. Basements can be damp and without one, not a good place to store hunting equipment and ammunition.

If my DW undertook a project like this for me, I would be speechless. Hope he appreciates the space.

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the tips. I checked out the bottom of the drywall. I don't see how I can cut it at this point without taking it off of the wall. Is there a special tool for that?

We will definitely be getting that water heater drain you mentioned.

The space is 3 1/2 feet wide. The rod rack that I chose will go on the right hand wall. It is pretty flush to the wall so I don't think it will get in the way.

But the gun rack sticks out about 6 inches. It's going on the left hand side and the front of it will be about 1 foot into the room. I plan on having the door hinged on the same side. I think/hope this might make it not feel as cramped.

I'm pretty sure he's going to love it. I'm hoping to have it finished within 2 weeks.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

A sharp utility knife is all you need - may need to change blades a couple times is all. Do you have a single or double 2 x 4 at the base? Lay another one alongside the base and score (several times) on the drywall. You will be able to cut clear through the paper on the back side. Then, just remove it. If you have a double 2 x 4, the cut will be "in-between" the two and a bit easier.

It's a drain pan and they sell them at home centers - about $20. But, the water heater itself will need to be drained then disconnected and the pan slid underneath. Then PVC tubing from the pan to the floor drain. Took me about 4 hours by myself but peace of mind is worth lots.

The pass-through space as you describe should be comfortable - probably 26 to 28".

• billinpa
    15 years ago

some kinda of dehumidification will be necessary. Both fopr the guns, they will rust and the ammo. Gunpawder is a dessicatant and will draw any available moisture into it.

I used to store my ammo is a very similiar area in my basement. Last year I threw away a large box of ammo that had been moisture soaked and wouldnt fire, or only partially fired.

Chekc with the big sports stores. They have small electricty free dehumifiers that take very little space. You pop them in the oven for a littel while to recharge them.

I wish my wife would atleast help me with the projects. Your hubby is a lucky man. Good luck with your project.

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whew! I finsished my part of the project. My husband is going to install the door. He's picking out his own gun rack too because I really wasn't sure what kind would be best for his guns.

I wasn't able to keep it a total secret. I had paint in my hair and all over my clothes when he came home one day. I'm really messy. :)

Here is the entire room. Thats not a bad mudding job on the ceiling, it's a reflection from the wall mounted tackle box.

Check out the floor, it looks like camo.

Here is his fishing wall

This is the wall that will have his gun rack. The baskets will store his ammo.

He has a lot more stuff to put in there. This is just how I staged it for him to see it the first time.

He LOVES it!

Thanks for all of the advice.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

It looks GREAT!. You should ve very proud but, of course, now have no excuses for not handling all those home repairs while he's hunt'n and fish'n.

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks fnmroberts. It was actually pretty fun to do once the drywall was finished.

I'm not worried about future projects. I've already conveniently forgotten what tools are used for. Hammer, whats a hammer?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm