Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vapor Barrier needed for Basement Bathroom Foundation Wall?

Posted by mrmichaeljmoore (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 9:25

I am doing a basement bathroom (see my other thread on my tiling saga).....
This bathroom wil be connected to the existing finished basment area.

My question is regarding a vapor barrier for the bathroom wall that is on the poured foundation wall....
Do I need some plastic sheeting as a vapor/water barrier between the concrete and insulation/wall studs?

Or am I good with just the wall, insulation and wall studs?
Do I use just regular pink insulation with the paper on one side?

If I need a plastic sheeting vapor barrier, how do I attach it? Where?

Not usre if it matters, but the wall has a coat of DryLock or similar on it.....I think it was done by the previous homeowners, at least 6 years ago....

thanks.
mm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vapor Barrier needed for Basement Bathroom Foundation Wall?

Forget the fibreglass. It's only asking for trouble. Unless you can find Membrain in your area for use as an internal vapour barrier, use extruded polystyrene (XPS) attached to the wall, followed by batts between framing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Understanding Basements

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here