Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing sump pump

Posted by macgyvers2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 08 at 9:25

I'm remodeling the basement, half of which was framed by the prior owner about 10 years ago. In the unframed portion, there's an ancient pedestal sump pump that I would like to get rid of (I have not gotten around to testing it yet), but I'd like some opinions on if that is a wise choice.

The front yard is at first-floor level, sloping down to basement level by the time it becomes the backyard. The yard continues to slope away, so the front yard is probably the highest point for quite some distance. In the nearly 10 years we've occupied the house, the basement has never flooded due to natural causes (a single, minor flood was due to poor workmanship on a sweated joint when the local water company installed a new wireless meter), not even a trickle of detectable water.

Other than flooding due to burst pipes (which could happen on any house level, not just basements), has anyone removed a sump pump if it appears unnecessary? The current location would put it inside of a bedroom, and relocating the pit and drainage lines would be a significant expense for what I currently perceive to be a low return on investment (until a pipe breaks, of course). I would like to remove the pump, cover the pit and drainage pipe, and fully frame/enclose the room.

Another possibility that seems reasonably acceptable would be to place a heavy-duty grate over the pit, which would allow padding and carpet to be placed over it. A submerisible pump would replace the pedestal type, and some slightly creative piping would allow me to use the same drainage hole out of the wall. This would keep the sump in operation should the unfortunate natural disaster happen, but I don't know what effect the carpet and padding might have on drainage should a pipe burst. that said, it's probably better covering my butt for at least some of the cases, no?

Your thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing sump pump

First of all, what's the clear purpose of the pump? Is it really just for basement "surface" overflow, or possibly for foundation drainage of some sort (or even window well drainage or other?) If it's truly just for water on the basement floor, sure, maybe you could do without. But it could also be getting rid of rising ground water or something like that. In my area there are lots of situations where the water wells up from below. I'd say if to keep it right where it is just to be safe.

o
RE: Removing sump pump

hb,

Thanks for replying. Due to the drain pipes leading into the pit, I assume it's purpose is double-duty... keeping the floor dry (just in case) as well as ground water. I don't believe I've ever heard the pump run, even during/after the nastiest of rainstorms, so it made me wonder if we were just lucky in our house's position.

After thinking about it all day yesterday, I think I'm going to go with the last option I listed. I'm going to have a heavy-duty grate made up to cover the pit, swap the pedestal unit out for a submersible pump, and frame the walls up as usual. That way I still get the protection from any ground swell water and the peace of mind of partial protection from burst pipes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here