Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyattj_gw

Dirt Basement

wyattj
10 years ago

Hi Everyone

My house was built in the 20's and has a granite slab foundations(huge granite rocks). The house was rehabbed before purchasing it and the foundation was pointed with cement and actually hold water very well. We have been there for 3+ years now and experienced more rain and snow then I have seen in 10 years. The walls of the basement are constantly moist but I never I get much standing water at all. if anything it is on the side near bulkhead and it is absorbed in hours or a day. I am very happy with the condition of basement given its age and having no sump. What WE HATE is that fact that is dirt and going down there stinks because of that. I do not want to pay for a concrete slab because I have no intentions of finishing space. I want to cover half the basement with 3 inches or so of gravel. I heard from many contractors websites that putting down vapor barrier when you are not cementing is a waste. The water will get above it and mold will attached to plastic. And the rocks will at some point puncture the plastic. I want some feedback on if it is bad to just put rock 3/4 inch or smaller over dirt in a NEw England basement. Will it cresate mold, does mold even stick to rock? I just want to be able to walk with on it without getting dirt on shoes and make it a tad better for storage. I appreciate your help and sorry for long message ; )

Comments (3)