Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waterproofing steps before finishing my basement

Posted by hehateme (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 8:22

My house is 4 years old.
I have a lookout basement.
I live in a city with clay soil and high water table.
I have never had a water issue but my sump pump runs from spring to fall. It does not run at a high frequency like every minute but if I had to guess it runs 4-5 times an hour.
I do have sump pump alarm that was installed with my security system.
I am about to finish my basement. I had water problems in my previous home so I am paranoid about water damage.

What can I do before I finish my basement to make sure there are no future water issues.

I was thinking of getting 2 more pumps. One of them will be a Zoeller pump. The other will be battery backup pump.
So my hope is that if my primary pump dies the battery backed up pump takes over and I can turn on the backup pump. I will also ask my security company to send me text message if the sump pump alarm goes on.

Is there anything else I should do? I live in Twin Cities, MN so I will appreciate any referral to a basement water proofing contractor.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waterproofing steps before finishing my basement

The essential measures to keep water at bay are outside the house. Inside, I would limit the use of moisture sensitive finishings and keep any that are moisture sensitive an inch or two above floor level. That would mean no wall-to-wall carpeting, only loose rugs and no wood flooring of any kind. Instead, tiles or stone on an anti-fracture membrane. Put wall base plates on 1" of XPS; you might have to use floating walls because of the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here