Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement design question

Posted by hehateme (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 8:13

Hi:

We have a lookout basement. We are about to finish them.
I have always seen a ledge in the exterior wall of the lookout basements. This is the wall that has all the windows. I was all set to choose a design with ledge.
However the designer of the basement contractor that I am working with us told us that we should consider not have ledge at all. She recommended having a wall that goes all the way up. This means that window sills will be deep. She was telling us that this will make the basement look like rest of the house.

I have never seen such a basement and I was wondering if you have a basement where you had to make a similar decision. What did you choose?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement design question

I suspect the "ledge" to which you refer happens because the foundation transitions to a framed exterior wall. I understand the logic of the designer and it will not cause loss of floor space to have a uniform wall.

Personally I wouldn't think the "deep" windows would look unattractive as comapred to a ledge. You could use the sills as display locations, to grow plants or some other purposeful application. It's how you want to use the space. One family I know has a very deep ledge which they use as their buffet table when entertaining in the basement.

Our basement is a standard one with limited windows. We have some conduits which caused me to set one wall about 3" out from the foundation because I just didn't like the thought of a soffit to hide them.

Your house and your choice but I would probably go with a standard looking wall. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here