Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for Basement Flooring

Posted by michelev (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 7:53

For the first time in 14 years, we had water in our basement due to a horrific rainstorm in NJ. The basement had been carpeted (with padding), and as a result, we had to rip everything up and throw it out. Now we need to replace the floor covering, and don't know what to do. Even though the amount of rain this past weekend was extraordinary, of course there's always the chance that it will happen again. The finished area of the basement is primarily used as a den for my teenage daughter and her friends. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for Basement Flooring

I think stained concrete or tile are the best solutions for the reasons you mention. Even a historically dry basement can get wet! If you don't like the look of tile, there is a great looking (installed) hardwood-looking tile by Daltile (timber glen). It is rectified porcelain so it can be installed with a skinny grout line (like hardwoods). My parents used it in Dune (a pickled look) in their beach house, and the installer installed it in a random pattern like hardwood with toothpicks as spacers. It looks great and is absolutely indestructible! They have had water issues in the past (they are on the ocean) and although they think they are solved, who knows??!!!

It also comes in an espresso color which is good looking and you could use a dark grout which would simplify cleaning. Because it looks like wood, you can use rugs on it without it looking strange (like sometimes happens when rugs are put over tile).

Not sure if you are interested in this, but we are planning on using it in most of our basement (except the guest bedroom and bathrooms).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here