Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvetfoot

Question on a room's design

velvetfoot
15 years ago

I am making a room with a boiler, indirect water heater tank, oil tank, breaker panel, pipes, etc.

Thing is, more room is needed around the boiler than the other stuff.

Should I make the room with a straight wall and waste space or bump out around the boiler?

I also think I might need two doors: one in front of the boiler for access (the burner points that way) and another one for elsewhere, in front of the panel.

Ideas?

Thanks much

Comments (3)

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

Are you finishing or planning to finish the remainder of your basement? If yes, develop your plan for the entire space first.

Space is precious, so don't waste any you can put to use. As to your questions, consider recessing a closet or bookcase into the "wasted" space in the boiler room. Make certain that you provide combustion air to the room. You may indeed need both access doors - at least some way to service the equipment.

I'm linking our basement which includes a print of the entire space. The furnace is accessed via a bookcase which pulls forward on casters. As our electrical entrance is elsewhere, a flush door encloses the panel.

Good luck with your build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

• velvetfoot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for replying.
    That is one nice basement!

My ambitions are a lot lower. I have to cover the foam wall insulation I'm putting up with drywall, so I figure, what the heck, I'll try to make it a little nicer; maybe exercise stuff, workbench. I'm not really sure, so I guess I should think more about it. I'm not going to get fancy with lighting though or add plumbing (maybe some heat via an added hot water loop since there is already an extra takeoff on the manifold).

Space is tighter for me, ~ 33 X 33, with stairs (no-landing) in the middle. Naturally, the boiler stuff is on one wall, the water softener on another and the drain pipes on yet another. So, I'll try to maximize what I have I guess.

I like the bookcase idea. It provides a wide opening for access, yet is useful for storage.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

Sorry that no one else has chimed with suggestions. This forum has been lightly used recently.

You must be doing this project yourself so are handy. Here's a thought. If there is a floor drain near your boiler, move the water softner. That will free space on the wall you reference.

Stairs in the middle would mean you have approximately 500 sq. ft. in each of two rooms. You can easily door-off one half, then finish other. Many people paint the joists (generally sprayed black) rather than install drywall or a drop ceiling. A few lights and a carpet remnant (maybe a TV) would make a nice gym. And if/when you would want to do more, you're set.

Enjoy the space.