Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outside access

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 6:26

I'm buying a foreclosure. The PO excavated most of the earth from the back of the house, bringing it down to basement level. I can only assume it was to eventually allow outside access to the basement. Unfortunately, he also dug under the foundation of the chimney, which is a structural issue that needs immediate attention.

My contractor and inspector both think the earth needs to be brought back up to the frost line of the foundation. My mind keeps pondering outside access. I know it would be easier to deal with this issue now that the area is exposed, rather than dig out later. But with all the other issues with the house, the budget only goes so far.

My question is--how big a deal is it to cut out an access in a cinderblock basement? Is this something I should bite the bullet on and have the work done now or can it wait till we're in the house? Any idea on costs involved?
back facing east

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outside access

My contractor and inspector both think the earth needs to be brought back up to the frost line of the foundation.

Absolutely and as soon as possible. You may still have settling and frost heave damage come the springtime thaw, especially if the home has been sitting unheated.

If you want a walkout, you have to underpin the foundation below the frostline. It doesn't look like you're in Florida.

Frost Penetration Source: Decks.com

o
RE: Outside access

I don't know local prices. Less in the boonies, I'd expect. Perhaps, $6,000- $10,000 for underpinning. Putting in a simple entry door isn't a big deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here