Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lograph

Ok...I'll Start!

lograph
18 years ago

We have a somewhat finished basement...well...that's being generous. There is a bar from the previus owners...and some bad sheetrocking in some areas and framing out in others that hasn't been sheet rocked. The concrete is exposed as is the wiring in the ceiling (which happens to be very high to our advantage). There are carpet remnants thrown down...I think you get the picture. We would like to make it more finished but DH is driving me crazy! He doesn't want to frame in the concrete walls and put drywall up because he says he likes to know if water is coming in (we haven't had that problem in the 3 years we've lived here!). http://dolls.iwantinfo.biz Also, he doesn't want to put in a ceiling (I'm even thinking drop ceiling--ANYTHING would be an improvement!) because he thinks the heating of the basement would be affected. I want to put the Flor Carpet tiles in...he wants new remnants! Uggghhh...any suggestions? Thanks! http://furniture.iwantinfo.biz

Comments (2)

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Well, I'll suggest that not spending money on things like sheetrock and ceilings and floors leaves the basement unfinished. A finished, livable basement is worth more at sale time and is a proper living space for you while you live there.

I'm not sure how putting in a ceiling will negatively affect heating in the basement; if anything, it should give you the opportunity to put more proper ducting in the basement so hot or cool air is distributed more evenly. Remnants have their place, but they won't look as finished as FLOR or some other flooring will.

In my mind, it all comes down to taking a chance. If you've been in the house for three years and if you've already had a sizable rainstorm and a couple of spring thaws, you should know by now if things are going to leak. Sure, things can always change (a 100-year storm or such). Maybe you could talk to the neighbors about their experiences? Or simply plan for a draintiled basement in case the worst happens?

In the meantime, you're giving up prime living space (that you did pay for when you bought the house) and that you cannot enjoy fully. Heck, by DH's logic, there's no point to doing much of anything to the rest of the house because you never know when a hurricane/straight-line winds/fallen tree will cause damage to the part of the house that's above ground.

Ask lots of questions, find out what's "normal" in your area, and go for it.

• naturelle
    18 years ago

I would not know this because I'm in Canada, but is Albania a town or city in the U.S, or are you in the Country of Albania?

The reason I'm asking is I was looking to see if insulation is a factor for your basement. If so, research how to do it properly, and pay particular attention to vapour barrier AND also sealing for air leakage. There is a lot of info available by government authorities and others.

buildingsciences.com is an excellent website for this purpose.

Some of the traditional methods which were seemingly timeless have been found to have faults, and there are now new prescribed ways to do them. An example is how a basement was insulated and sealed in the old days. It turns out there is more to it, and the old ways have caused problems. There is also more need to do a proper job, because we now want to live in and enjoy the basement areas, and also because of the cost of energy, these days. There's a few other threads running in this forum that discusses more details about the problems and the methods.

I agree with the others that if you have not had any problems for three years of conditions that should be a fair test, you could proceed with the work.

Ted