Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msafirstein

basement windows

msafirstein
18 years ago

We are building an addition complete with full basement.

The windows in the basement must be 8% of the sq ft of the room which measures 23'9" by 14'. The windows will have to be below grade and with a window well.

We are replacing all our windows with Pella but Pella does not make a below grade basement window. We already have an egress window and 1 staircase to the main floor and 1 staircase to the outside so we are all set as far as escape routes. But we still need to meet the light code. We are putting in a basement fireplace and I am not sure how we will use the room yet. Any suggestions for an attractive basement window?

Comments (15)

• blue_fastback
    18 years ago

Glass block.

• iinsic
    18 years ago

I went through a parade of homes in Milwaukee a few years ago, and one model had almost the entire top course of the basement done as glass block. The effect in the basement was very cool. I made a mental note that if I ever lost my mind (-; and tried to build a house that I would see if I could afford to do that.

• louisville_card
    18 years ago

We remodeled our basement and replaced the 50 year old windows with glass block. Looks great and got rid of the cave crickets that we had that first spring in the basement. Lots of light and no air infiltration. Basement felt much more comfortable after we had them put in.

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I ran the glass block idea by my GC and he thinks it is a good idea. It is impossible to keep below grade windows clean and they look disgusting from the inside. So anyway I can meet the light code, make the area more attractive and obscure the dirty window wells is right up my alley!

Thanks so much for the idea of the glass block windows, it sure has helped.

louisville_card; I know what you mean by bugs in the basement. We have a terrible time with lady bugs and box elder beetles in the basement and it is year round too. The windows seem pretty tight but they still are getting in somehow.

• cheeseburger
    18 years ago

Is this a DIY job? Any how-to links appreciated.

• brianrowe
    18 years ago

Why aren't you installing Boman-Kemp windows in the basement? They make a perfect window-well system. We just installed 4-4050 window wells in a basement. 3 were in a playroom and 1 was in a bedroom.

Brian

Here is a link that might be useful: Boman Kemp window wells

• jojoco
    18 years ago

All the windows in our home are Pella. So I would be surprised if this one, with a window well is something else. I am not sure what you are looking for, but this is our large basement window with well for egress. This is not a walk out basement. There is one other window which is not in the picture, but it is a small, typical basement one. It is impossible to tell from this picture, but the dirt is more than halfway up the window.

• formulaross
    18 years ago

Like jojoco said, if you are using window wells, you can use regular Pella windows. I did the same thing in my basement with Andersen windows and a window well.

• subywu
    18 years ago

The small standardized basement window sizes can easily be DIY. They come pre-assembled, either with or without window vent. You can order them, get info, and find installation supplies at home depot.

The glass blocks are great. Very strong and durable. They also maintain privacy so you don't even need curtains.

• skyrob66
    18 years ago

You might also want to find out if you have any natural ventilation requirements. In my town you need 8% natural light but you also need 4% natural ventilation. Usually if you have slider windows and you meet the light requirements then you also meet the ventilation requirements. If either of these requirements are not met then you must suppliment with artificial lighting and power ventilation. Glass block won't help with the vent requirements. Just a thought.

• subywu
    18 years ago

Skyrob: what are all these percents you are talking about? Percent of what?

• skyrob66
    18 years ago

Percent of total floor area. In other words if you end up finishing 1000 square feet you would need a total of 80 square feet of glazing to meet minimum code and 40 square feet of natural ventilation (open screened window for example). As mentioned, you can use artificial means to meet requirements.

• linda_in
    18 years ago

We have a window well & used Pella (just like jojoco.)

• cedarville_design
    18 years ago

The only concern I would have with glass block windows would be minimum ventilation. MA Building Code does require that living spaces meet the 8% glass requirement but also that 4% of that area is able to be vented or operational. You did mention other windows in your post but without the dimensions of these windows I can't calculate the areas required but based on the room dimensions provided you would need approximately 26 s.f. of glass and 13 s.f. of that vented.

If your heart is set on glass blocks Pittsburgh Corning does offer a glass block window with an operating vent in the middle but it looks a little clumsy.

I would use regular Pella windows with the ScapeWel system. The ScapeWel is stepped with each step providing an area suitable for landscaping. They also offer clear covers.

The ScapeWel would allow you to use all the same window manufacturer throughout the home giving you the same finished look on the inside whether you are upstairs or down in the basement.

Good luck....

Cedarville Design

Here is a link that might be useful: Bilco ScapeWel

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their input and figuring out the light and ventilation requirements. We now have everything more then covered and our new basement should be a very comfortable area.

Drawings are now with the Engineer and as soon as we get his stamp, it is off to our Building Dept for the Permit.

Thanks again.