Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmdkc

Basement leak from drain hole

dmdkc
15 years ago

My house is half on a slab, half over a basement. Two times in the past year that I've lived here, we've had incredible, insane, eye-popping thunderstorms. During those, I've had a leak from the hole in the side of the basement where the main drainpipe from the bathroom in the slab side of the house penetrates the basement wall. The entry point is about five feet up the side of the wall -- well underneath the slab.

I'm 100% positive my grading is perfect.

My back yard slopes towards the house. This leak is the result of groundwater levels simply reaching saturation after being dry so long, right? And the hole in the wall is the weakest point in the basement, so that's where the water finds its entry. Even after four inches in three hours (YIKES), I'd say the leak amounts to maybe two cups' worth.

I'm even seeing a tiny bit of moisture in another corner that's sound as can be. I'm sure the ground is just reacting naturally after a very, very dry winter.

Am I diagnosing this properly? Anything else I should be thinking of? And is a sump pump my only recourse? Thanks for any and all help!

Comments (10)

• worthy
    15 years ago

Sounds right to me.

Since the typical home basement is only dampproofed with some asphalt cutback, you're doing ok. Maybe try some hydraulic cement around the drainpipe exit. But two cups of water doesn't justify a sump pump.

• dmdkc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, this morning there was much more water. Still not a disaster, but a lot more seeped in overnight. I'm going to get a consultation from a waterproofing company, but I'm wary of the hard-sells that industry is infamous for.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"I'm going to get a consultation from a waterproofing company, but I'm wary of the hard-sells that industry is infamous for."

They will propose cutting through the basement slab and installing a sump pump system.

When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    In this case when you own a concrete saw, any concrete needs cutting.

if it has been very dry wait and see if the leaking stops.
    The earth will shrink and provide paths for water movement that will close up when normal moisture returns to the soil.

You can also close up and gaps around the plumbing.

• worthy
    15 years ago

They will propose cutting through the basement slab and installing a sump pump system.

I wonder if this is a regional thing. Around here, the approach I see is: excavate the exterior, install new weepers, gravel and a Delta,-type membrane. Costly, but the better approach by far.

• dmdkc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brickeyee, what product is best for closing up the gaps around the plumbing? That's exactly where the leak is. Looks like there's foam along the lines of Great Stuff in there now.

• rwd_
    15 years ago

Maybe this? Scroll down to about the middle of the page. I may order one of the other kits to fix a small crack in my fathers basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipe Perforation Mender Kits

• dmdkc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, rwd. I have an appointment with a reputable waterproofing company tomorrow. I'll see what they recommend. Then when they tell me I need a sump pump, I may just order that kit! ;)

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"They will propose cutting through the basement slab and installing a sump pump system."

"I wonder if this is a regional thing. Around here, the approach I see is: excavate the exterior, install new weepers, gravel and a Delta,-type membrane. Costly, but the better approach by far."

I agree preventing the water from entering is a better fix than trying to pump it back out.

Mid Atlantic Waterproofing is one of the chief offenders of cutting slabs and installing sump pumps.

Everyone wants quick and easy, with minimal disturbance to landscaping.

• dmdkc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The contractor I spoke with proposed packing the joint with rope impregnated with an expanding foam of some kind. It's guaranteed for life -- but it's very expensive ($625). However, that also means they'll come back out and fix it if I ever get water again, and if that doesn't do it, they'll dig it out and membrane it from above (which would involve excavating part of my living room floor -- ick).

I'm awfully handy. I wonder if I can get this product myself and take care of it. I don't really even know where to start, though. At least he didn't try to strong-arm me into a $5k sump pump I don't need.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor