Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished basement windows

Posted by patsfan (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 08 at 22:55

I have finished my basement using the framing/insulation recommendations of Building Sciences (foam on walls, framing, unfaced insulation).

I am trying to figure out how to best finish the exposed concrete surrounding the window. The window sits back from the edge of the concrete, of course, creating a "sill" on the bottom and exposed concrete to the left, right, and top of the window.

It doesn't seem like I should just trim out the concrete with wood. It seems like I should do something to the concrete, like paint it with DryLoc(sp?) or add a vapor barrier or a thin layer of foam or something.

What do people usually do to trim out the concrete on basement windows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished basement windows

If the windows are small, I would trim out with wood up to the concrete edge where the window cut-out meets the vertical interior concrete surface, which will maximize the light through the small windows.

If you have large windows, use some foam board under the trim.

o

I installed glass blocks in my windows, so I had only the width on the joints around the glass to work with. I just plastered over the concrete block and painted it the same as the surrounding sheetrock.

o

I've been finishing off basement windows with wooden jambs and casings for 20 plus years with no problems. If you can, you might fill in the space bewtween the jambs and concrete with low or no expansion foam to ensure a tight air block.

Basement Window

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here