Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foam board thickness - 1' or 2' ?

Posted by phoenix_nj (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 22:44

Aside from the extra benefit of greater insulation from 2" vs. 1" foam board being applied to basement walls before framing, are there significantly greater moisture control benefits between the 2" thickness vs. 1" thickness?

Code is requiring we use kraft insulation in the framing,so insulation level is not an issue. Does the 1" foam board adequately control potential moisture issues or should I spend a little extra money and get the 2" thickness to maximize moisture control? Is 2" thickness harder to install?

Does this answer change if we use metal framing?

thanks,
phuong

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foam board thickness - 1' or 2' ?

Assuming you're in a Cold Zone, not a Very Cold Zone, one inch XPS is sufficient. (For EPS, I'd put in two inches.) It just means you'll need a little more of whatever other insulation you are putting in between the studs. Same for metal framing. Just be sure the base is on 1" XPS; metal framing doesn't take kindly to water.

o

Worthy, if I install 2" board or 1.5", and then frame a 2x4 wall, do I need to install insulation (regular stuff) in the 2x4 cavity? Or does it get empty?

o

The link below are the recommendations of the US Department of Energy for cost effective installations.

(These may or may not exceed state or local requirements.)

In my location, I'd fill the stud spaces with fiber insulation, as R5-R10 boards fall below the required Code minimum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost Effective Insulation levels

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here