Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sound insulation for ceiling in the basement

Posted by schada (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 22:37

I am planning to finish my basement. Half of the basement is under Wooden floors. To avoid the noice from wooden floors from the 1st floor, I am planning to insulate the ceiling. BTW, I am using Sheetrock/Drywall for the ceiling. Is there any special insulation for sound barrier? Or should I use thick thermal insulation?
Thanks for advise.
- Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sound insulation for ceiling in the basement

sam
congrats on your project -
we just finished 1/2 of our basement - I did research on soundproofing - and found a host of information -

I ended up applying Roxul (brand name) which is a mineral wool used for firestopping & soundproofing btwn the joists - it now comes in batts similiar to the pink stuff

Next applied MLV (mass loaded vinyl) 1/8" thick HEAVY stuff and difficult to work with overhead (see pic) THEN used grid system & Acoustical tiles - Not an easy application

Depends what you are isolating - ?Foot fall on wood floors above - that is probably the most difficult - I still hear foot fall

We did it now for kiddies - isolate the noise - later perhaps a real home theatre

layers of sheetrock - of varying thickness is another proven soundproofer - homosote (basically what these ceiling tiles are) is another -

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Try over on the remodeling forum - you'll find threads there and also on home theatre type acoustical forums

It does get confusing & adds $$$ up - any conduit for sound must be properly treated or you will continue w/same prob.

I put a wood exterior door from finish/utility side of basement w/a sweep on the bottom
walls btwn the 2 sides may need to have some application as well

good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: audioholics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here